If you received extra gift cards, you can turn them into bitcoin today. Although there are many online providers advertising this service, currently there are only a few providers that will actually give you bitcoin for your gift card. The other problem is that you will get very low amount of bitcoins for your dollar. It depends which provider you choose, but roughly you will get only 50% of bitcoins of your gift card value. But there are many online services providing the other way around, you can easily buy gift cards with bitcoin.
Buy bitcoins with gift card at LocalBitcoins
The best place to sell your gift card for bitcoin is LocalBitcoins at the moment. You need to find a trader that will accept your gift card and send you bitcoin. Currently there are offers for Amazon gift card, Steam, Target, Wallmart and Visa gift cards, from time to time also offers for Apple store gift card, Starbucks and similar appear.
It is not that easy to understand how much you will get for your gift card at LocalBitcoins. In general, the price for your card is nominated in price per bitcoin. For example, the seller displays price per bitcoin at 1000$. It means that you will get 0.1 bitcoin for your 100$ gift card. But current bitcoin rate is 500$ and 100$ in cash will buy you 0.2 bitcoin. It means you got 50% of your card value in bitcoin.
Buy bitcoins with Amazon gift card at Purse
If you own an Amazon gift card, a good place to to check is Purse. Somehow you are able to get bitcoin for your card if you buy stuff for someone else on Amazon with your gift card. Idea is that you pay for their Amazon wish list and they give you bitcoin in reverse. Purse acts as an intermediary, offering users the platform, bitcoin wallet and escrow for transactions. You can also import your Amazon gift card codes directly to Purse and sell them for bitcoin instantly.
Related: Shopping at Amazon with bitcoin
(get a discount too!)
- The great thing about Purse is also the option to do the other way around – to spend bitcoin on Amazon Shopping, that way you can get a substantial discount on Amazon items (5% guaranteed). It just requires a bit of work.
- Sounds to good to be true? When people hear about Purse’s bitcoin discounts on Amazon, they often think it’s a scam as it looks too good to be true. Well, it is not. It’s not that easy to explain how it works, but here is a quick explanation.Purse is a marketplace that connects Amazon shoppers with people who have unused Amazon gift cards. The shoppers purchase the unused gift cards with bitcoins at a large discount as gift card owners for some reason want to liquidate gift cards. Basically people who want to liquidate gift cards are ready to sell them way below the nominated price (25% or more). Shoppers or Purse buys these cards from them and then buys stuff on Amazon with these cards way cheaper. They have also integrated USendHome service where you can generate a U.S. shipping address and shop at Amazon, then have your packages reshipped to your door, worldwide.
- If you need a bitcoin-related idea for Amazon shopping, we suggest buying ready-made bitcoin mining computer on Amazon – click here for The 21 Bitcoin Computer.
- Shopping with alternative digital currencies such as Ethereum or Dash on Amazon is also possible with Purse, since they integrated Shapeshift exchange platform (it is simple to convert from one digital asset to another using their service).
- You can spend bitcoins directly on Amazon shopping in Europe. Just check out BitPanda. This Austria-based crypto broker, has launched a service to allow customers to use bitcoins for purchases on Amazon.de. You can also buy Amazon gift vouchers and pay with bitcoins at SpectroCoin.
- Similar to Purse is Bitcart (new provider, so please do a test transaction first). If you can pay with bitcoin, you can simply buy amazon gift card with 15% discount.
- See our bitcoin coupons & discounts section too
Buy bitcoins with various gift cards at Paxful
This platform is very similar to Localbitcoins, described above. Buy a gift card with cash at your local drugstore (save the receipt too) and exchange it here for instant bitcoin. At Paxful you buy bitcoin directly from other people.
Browse the offers for gift cards (for example, Amazon, Walmart or Vanilla) and start a trade to begin. Compared to Localbitcoins rates for your gift card are lower here, but it looks like more offers are listed.
Buy BTC with Starbucks gift card at Card for Coin
Card for Coin can currently accept only Starbucks cards via email. After registration you have to email them and they’ll get you taken care of! You have to send them your Card for Coin username, the card number, the card PIN or “access number” and your bitcoin address. Their offers range between 40 and 90 percent of the card balance and vary based on demand.
Currently they only accept cards up to $100 in value, and a maximum of $100 total per day. If you’d like to sell a larger card, contact them to discuss individually. They’ll send your payment within two business days.
- If you just want to try bitcoin or want to buy bitcoins in a small quantity, buying it with a gift card is an easy way to do. For larger amounts this is a pricey option.
- If you want to stay anonymous while buying coins, buying bitcoins with a gift card is great way to do as you can buy gift cards in any local shop keeping your identity safe.
- These guys are new on the scene. You can somehow buy bitcoins through Bitit eGift card, but it seems too complicated as you have to get completely verified first.
- Please check also other options to buy bitcoins and our exchanges list.