Bitcoin exchanges are an essential part of the virtual currency world as they allow you to transfer fiat currencies, such as the USD or EUR, into bitcoin or vice versa. If you’re looking to buy bitcoin our list of bitcoin exchanges might be helpful. Currently, there are more than 100 exchanges on-line, but we only list those that are on the market for some time now and they have positive feedback from users. Please find your favourite exchange on the list below.
Buy, sell, exchange bitcoins
Main focus of these exchanges is on transferring traditional currencies, such as the USD, EUR and GBP, into bitcoin and around. Payment methods vary on the exchange: beside traditional payment methods such as credit and debit cards, bank account and cash, some of them also accept alternative or indirect payment methods such as gift cards, PayPal, Western Union deposit and similar.
Top bitcoin exchanges
- Coinbase – this digital wallet that allows you to securely buy, sell, use, and accept bitcoin currency with bank account and credit/debit card is our favourite exchange.
- LocalBitcoins – buy/sell bitcoins in-person near you. This is a bitcoin marketplace – unlike with centralized bitcoin sites, you make a trade directly with another person.
- Cubits – all-inclusive platform to buy, sell and accept bitcoin, focused mainly to European users. After thorough verification you can buy and sell bitcoin instantly.
- ShapeShift – probably the best exchange if you want to exchange between different cryptocurrencies instantly and without account. There is no traditional currency support.
- Indacoin – buy bitcoin and ethereum quickly & without verification.
- Uphold – If you own a US bank account, you can buy bitcoin with direct ACH bank transfer with low fees.
- Coinmotion – buy, sell, and store bitcoin.
- Cryptex24 – simple and convenient exchange platform for crypto currencies. You can exchange bitcoin to PayPal here.
- BitQuick – American users can buy and sell bitcoins instantly for cash. It works with most popular banks and credit unions, but rates are high.
- BitPanda – if you want to buy bitcoins with Skrill, this is a good option. You can also use them to directly spend your bitcoins on Amazon.de
- Coinomat – instant cryptocurrency exchange service. Good if you want to switch between different crypto currencies, such as litecoins or dogecoins.
- ALFACashier – buy, sell & exchange bitcoin, litecoin and dash instantly.
- CoinCorner – buy bitcoin with credit and debit card, GBP and EUR only.
- CoinCafe – makes it easy to purchase bitcoins quickly and safely. Buy bitcoins in person in New York City.
- XMLGold – digital currency market with many exchange options.
- CRXZone – global crypto exchange. Major banks, currencies and e-money is supported.
- Paxful – bitcoin marketplace to buy and sell bitcoins from other users. You can purchase bitcoins with gift cards here.
- SpectroCoin – offers fiat and virtual currencies exchange with more than 20 currency options being available.
- 247exchange – buy, sell, exchange bitcoins and other crypto’s with credit/debit card and other payment methods. They have low fees and regular special offers.
- Celery – Buy bitcoin with direct ACH bank transfer.
Buy only bitcoin exchanges
Please visit our buy bitcoins section for more details on how to buy bitcoins.
Bitcoin exchanges with trading tools
Another great thing about exchanges is that, beside purchasing bitcoins, a lot of them offer an option of trading. This way with some experience, activity and luck, you can benefit from the volatility of the cryptocurrency markets. You can buy bitcoins here, but the main focus of these platforms is to trade bitcoins.
- Bitstamp – efficient bitcoin exchange solution with robust trading services. Highly respected and reliable exchange with low transaction fees.
- Bitcoin.de – german bitcoin marketplace where you can purchase bitcoins from other registered users and sell yours to them. Probably the largest bitcoin marketplace in Europe.
- Cex.io – use your debit or credit card, bank transfer or Skrill payment to deposit USD or EUR into your account. Then buy & sell bitcoins. It offers an online marketplace for trading bitcoins for USD, EUR, RUB and some altcoins.
- Kraken – forex trading and bitcoin exchange in one service. You can deposit fiat currencies with Sepa, Swift, Wire and other methods.
- VirWox – one of very limited number of exchanges where you can buy or sell bitcoins with PayPal and Skrill. There is no verification needed.
- You are also able to buy & sell bitcoin through most bitcoin trading platforms.
- If you want to find most popular bitcoin exchanges sort bitcoin exchanges by trading volume, go to Bitcoincharts.
Unverified and new bitcoin exchanges
These exchanges are usually new and we do not have enough information about their services to put them on the regular list. Use them with caution. We move them up once we have enough positive user’s reviews.
- E-scrooge – buy, sell, exchange bitcoin, OKPay and other e-currencies.
- OpenChange – exchange, buy, sell bitcoins and litecoins for Perfect money, Paxum, BTC-E codes, Western Union, Money Gram.
- Unichange – exchange bitcoin and Perfect Money to Visa, Mastercard, PayPal.
- AnycoinDirect – buy and sell bitcoins and other crypto’s easy, fast and secure.
- Cash2PM – buy, sell Perfect Money, bitcoin for Western Union.
Rip exchanges and exchanges in trouble
Here we put exchanges that are reported by users as “problematic”. Usually they are delaying with bitcoin withdraws.
CleverCoin– acquired by Kraken Bitok– a platform for buying, selling and trading digital currencies. Cryptsy– the exchange to go to for trading between different cryptocurrencies. Expresscoin– self-claimed as one of the largest bitcoin retailers.
- igot – they owe a lot of users a lot of money they can’t withdraw.
Coinwallet– buy/sell bitcoins worldwide. They provide Western Union to bitcoin service and other deposit and withdrawal methods.
- Circle – you can no longer buy and sell bitcoin through them.
Snapcard– “we’re deeply sorry to announce that we will no longer continue operating the platform”.